Archive for May 23rd, 2021

May 23 Energy News

May 23, 2021


¶ “How Wolves And Other Wildlife Help Us Fight For The Climate” • Amid the buzz over better stewardship of our planet’s greenery, a growing body of scientific research is examining another piece of the carbon puzzle: wildlife. It is increasingly clear that biodiversity is not an optional luxury, but integral to natural life support systems. [CleanTechnica]

Wolf (Federico Di Dio photography, Unsplash)

¶ “When Will Electric Cars Start To Outsell Fossil-Fuel Vehicles? Projections Are All Over The Map” • Different analysts make very different forecasts about the future of EVs. EV technology will keep up its rapid improvements, and prices will continue to fall. But other factors, such as governments, consumers, and auto makers, are not so predictable. [CleanTechnica]

Science and Technology:

¶ “NOAA Predicts Another Active Atlantic Hurricane Season” • NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center forecasts an above-normal Atlantic hurricane season, though not at historic levels. It puts the chance of an above-normal season at 60%, the chance of a near-normal season at 30%, and the chance of a below-normal season at 10%. [CleanTechnica]

Hurricane Katrina, August 28, 2005 (NOAA image)

¶ “For Seventh Straight Year, A Named Storm Forms In Atlantic Ahead Of Hurricane Season” • The National Hurricane Center early Saturday declared the arrival of Subtropical Storm Ana, making 2021 the seventh year in a row that a named storm has developed in the Atlantic Ocean ahead of the official June 1 start of hurricane season. [The Seattle Times]


¶ “Largest Order Of Electric School Buses In North America Placed By First Student” • The largest student transportation provider in North America, First Student, placed the largest order of electric school buses with Lion Electric Company. First Student is ordering 260 all-electric LionC school buses. It is to operate them in Quebec. [CleanTechnica]

Lion Electric school bus (Screenshot via YouTube)

¶ “Another Key Solar PV Period In China Starts This Year” • This is the first year of the 14th five-year plan and the first calendar year after President Xi Jinping announced the nation’s carbon emissions commitment, and the forecast reflected strong growth. The 13th five-year plan showed a five-fold increase from the 12th, but China now has a carbon target. [CleanTechnica]

¶ “Vietnam Shines As Stunning Solar Champion As Banks Shun Coal” • In Vietnam, banks are shunning coal, enabling the nation to shine brightly as a solar champion. Vietnam saw a 100-fold increase in solar power over the last two years, BloombergNEF noted. In 2020, the only countries that installed more solar than Vietnam were the US and China! [CleanTechnica]

Growth of solar power in Vietnam

¶ “Renewable Technology Brings Power Swarming Through The World’s Poorest Villages” • Around 789 million people worldwide still have no access to electricity, seriously hampering their opportunities for development. But the installation of so-called “swarm grids” is demonstrating the effectiveness of low-cost renewable energy solutions. []


¶ “Texas Blackout Reveal: Texas Republicans Knew Gas Was The Problem, Then Blamed Renewables” • The chair of the Texas PUC and other top officials were already worried about gas shortages days before the widespread blackouts that led to the deaths of at least 151 people, E&E News reports. But they blamed renewables anyway. [CleanTechnica]

Texas Governor Greg Abbott (Gage Skidmore, CC BY-SA 2.0)

¶ “Ford Gives Us The F-150 Lightning Lowdown – A Video Series With Much More Information About The Vehicle” • Ford has released a YouTube playlist with 10 videos that not only gives potential customers more information about the F-150 Lightning truck, but also gives us a look into the minds of the people who designed it. [CleanTechnica]

¶ “Ørsted Completes Permian Energy Center With Solar Power, Battery Storage Capacity” • Ørsted has completed the Permian Energy Center on 3,600 acres, in an area with well over 100,000 oil and gas wells. It has a solar capacity of 420 MW (AC), enough to power more than 80,000 households. It also has 40 MW (AC) of battery storage. [Midland Reporter-Telegram]

Ørsted’s Permian Energy Center (Image courtesy of Ørsted)

¶ “Louisiana’s SB 8 Is Hoping To End EV Tax Credits Early” • Louisiana’s Ways and Means will hear SB 8 on Monday, May 24. The bill proposes to accelerate the sunset date of alternative fueled vehicle (electric vehicles and hybrid electric vehicle) tax credits in Louisiana. In essence, they want to end the tax credits earlier than planned. [CleanTechnica]

¶ “Power Purchase Agreements Bill Encourages Solar Use In West Virginia” • West Virginia is now the 29th state to allow solar power purchase agreements, thanks to passage of House Bill 3310 during the 2020 legislative session. The bill passed 83-16 in the House of Delegates and 33-1 in the Senate. It signals a shift in the state’s energy policy. [WVNews]

Have a significantly successful day.

geoharvey is free and without ads.
Donate with PayPal
geoharvey is not tax-deductible.